Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Six Words

George Will's seven words almost have it right but I believe my six words provide the right formula to protect our representative form of government. I will cover several principles in subsequent posts. My six words: "No limits, full disclosure, qualified voters."

Before doing so, I would like to comment on the silly notion that giving money is "speech." That notion assumes that the framers were idiots who did not have a command of the English language. Nothing could be further from the truth. "Speech" is the delivery of the spoken word. It's broadest definition could (and should) include delivery of the written word. There is no defensible case to be made that giving money to a politician is "speech." Consequently, the idea that the First Amendment guaranteeing freedom of speech somehow covers campaign donations is just plain wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment